18th Annual Hyde Creek Salmon Festival - Nov 19, 2017
Pictures from 2017's festival! Click on an image to zoom in
Visitors from around the Lower Mainland came out to celebrate and witness the return of thousands of salmon back to their birthplace to lay and fertilize their eggs. Spawning time is the end of these Coho & Chum salmon’s lifespan and the beginning of the next generation.
This FREE family event provides visitors of all ages the opportunity to observe salmon up close and learn about their life cycle through educational displays, salmon dissections and in-stream demonstrations. A day of exploring, experiencing and learning about the salmon and wildlife in a fish-bearing watershed was well attended.
Located at the Port Coquitlam Recreation Centre at 1379 Laurier Avenue and The Hyde Creek Education Centre & Hatchery at 3636 Coast Meridian Road, in Port Coquitlam. Both venues are linked by a short trail along Hyde Creek, which is well-marked by colourful banners.
Highlights of the Festival included:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada displaying live salmon (up close!)
- Orphaned Wildlife Society (OWL) exhibiting a live raptor
- Salmon dissections and microscope investigations
- Home Depot build project, Search & Rescue and the David Suzuki Foundation on display, interactive Theatrix Kids Zone in the Rec Centre Program room
- Ta Daa Lady with highly interactive songs, stories and clown turns outside in the Rainbow Dome
- Face painting, cookie decorating and crafts for the young-at-heart Refreshments at our fundraising salmon BBQ, hosted by Save On Foods and the Culinary Students of SD 43
- Looking for local flora and fauna on a guided nature walk
- Visiting an operating salmon hatchery
- Free Bicycle parking by BEST at the Rec Centre
- Opportunity to win exciting prizes at our Raffle table
- 36 Environmentally motivated Exhibitors
- Local Vendors with environmentally themed hand-made treasures for sale
Huge thanks to co-sponsor City of Port Coquitlam, and to our Corporate Sponsors:
Special thank you to our Raffle donors: Art Knapps, Brent McCallum, Poco Bowling, Charlies Chocolate Factory, Poco Costco, The Cultch, Poco Dairy Queen, Electronic Arts Evergreen Cultural Centre, Giggle Dam Theatre, Golden Ears Curling Club, Greater Vancouver Zoo, Lordco Parts, Meridian Arms Pub, Meridian Meats & Seafood, Millenium Meats, Paddle Wheel Riverboat Tours (Pitt Lake) Papa Leos Pizza, Pharmasave, Poco Samz Pub, Pacific Salmon Foundation, Parallel 49 Brewing Co., Safeway Shaughnessy Station, Scott Plastics, Shaughnessy Vet Clinic, Westwood Total Health, and Wine Experts (Just Fine Wines).
As well, we graciously acknowledge and thank all volunteers, participants, donors and supporters of the Society and this Festival.
2017 Festival Committee
Brooke, April, Paula, Karin, Susan, Doris, Linda, Marianne, Debra Jean