19th Annual Hyde Creek Salmon Festival
Sunday November 18, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m
Join the 5,000 plus visitors from around the Lower Mainland who come out to celebrate and witness the return of thousands of salmon back to their birthplace to lay and fertilize their eggs. Spawning time is the end of these Coho & Chum salmon’s lifespan and the beginning of the next generation. This FREE family event provides visitors of all ages the opportunity to observe salmon up close and learn about their life cycle through educational displays, salmon dissections and in-stream demonstrations. Come out for a day of exploring, experiencing and learning about the salmon and wildlife in a fish-bearing watershed.
Locations for the event are both the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre at 1379 Laurier Avenue and The Hyde Creek Education Centre & Hatchery at 3636 Coast Meridian Road, in Port Coquitlam. Both venues are linked by a short trail along Hyde Creek, which is well-marked by colourful banners.
Highlights of the Festival include:
* Fisheries and Oceans Canada displaying live salmon (up close!)
* Orphaned Wildlife Society (OWL) exhibiting a live Golden Eagle
* The Cutie Circle, a ukulele group, will perform and provide music lessons in the classroom at the Hatchery
* Salmon dissections and microscope investigations
* Home Depot build project, Search & Rescue and the David Suzuki Foundation on display
* Theatrix Kids Zone interactive play in the Rec Centre Program room
* Ta Daa Lady with highly interactive songs and stories. 4 children's shows
* Face painting, cookie decorating and crafts for the young-at-heart
* Looking for local flora and fauna on a guided nature walk
* Visit an operating salmon hatchery
* Ride your Bike - Free and secured Bicycle parking at the Rec Centre
* 36 Environmentally motivated Exhibitors
* Food Truck Vendors with amazing lunch items
* Christmas Shopping - Vendors with environmentally themed hand-made treasures for sale. Cash only
Thank you to the City of Port Coquitlam for co-sponsoring this Festival, our fundraising donors, Robert Bateman Foundation, Scotty, Scott Plastics and Charlies Chocolate Factory, and to our Corporate Sponsors.
Photos from 2017 Festival
As well, we graciously acknowledge and thank all volunteers, participants, donors and supporters of the Society and this Festival.
Festival Committee members for 2018 are April Crockett, Linda Dore, Debra Francis, Susan Ingram, Auni Nurani, Jean Peachman, Bruno Schneider, Paula Soto, Doris Wilcox, Marianne Wotherspoon.